Troubleshooting Subversion and TortoiseSVN

Simultaneously I got the complaint from our outsourced teams in India about Subversion. Suddenly they started getting this uninformative error while trying to commit or checkout the code with TortoiseSVN client from SVN.

Error: PROPFIND request failed on '/application/name'
Error: PROPFIND of '/application/name': Could not resolve hostname 'svn. companyserver.com': The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for. (https:// svn.companyserver.com)

We didn't perform any changes to SVN repository lately so I'm trying to get more information from network administrators of offshore teams and have feeling that something is wrong with Cisco VPN Client in offshore. On the one hand SVN problems appeared at the same time in two different locations, on the other hand when I started to ask them to connect to others restricted application they were not able to connect too. IPCONFIG /ALL on their machines returns IP addresses in accepted VPN range, but PING or TRACEROUTE are not able to come through network.

Update 1:
I got the response from one of the networking folks onsite. The public VPN server was upgraded last week. Today the network admin audited the new VPN server and compared it with the old VPN configuration and identified only one delta - 'IPSEC over UDP' was no enabled. Now I need the confirmation from offshore partners that Subversion and TortoiseSVN issue is resolved and they have an access to other restricted resources

Update 2: SVN and TortoiseSVN works behind VPN from offshore side

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you find any solution, yet?
Thanks, B.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting exactly the same error on Windows. Running my SVN server 1.6 on the same machine as my TortoiseSVN client (my own test machine). I can connect to SVN using a browser, login and browse. Providing the same URL to TortoiseSVN results in the following:

OPTIONs of '[my server url]:8443/svn': Could not resolve hostname '[my server url]': The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for. ([my server url]:8443)